Prof Coolidge is a Professor of Psychology at University of Colorado (UCCS), USA. He received his BA, MA, and PhD from the University of Florida and completed a two-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Neuropsychology at Shands Teaching Hospital, University of Florida. He joined UCCS in 1979 and served as the Chair of the Department from 1986-1989 and as the Clinical Director from 1981-1984. Prof Coolidge is a three-time Fulbright Fellowship Award recipient (India, 1987, 1992, 2005). He has received three teaching awards including the lifetime designation, University of Colorado Presidential Teaching Scholar, received the UCCS Letters, Arts, and Sciences Annual Outstanding Research and Creative Works Award, 2004-2005, and the UCCS Annual Faculty Award for Excellence in Research, 2006-2007. Prof Coolidge is a member of the Association for Psychological Science and the European Society for Human Evolution. He teaches introductory statistics, cognitive evolution, dream interpretation as a psychotherapeutic technique, and evolutionary neuropsychology. He has published eight books and over 140 journal articles. He is also the member of the Academic Advisory Council of IIT, Gandhinagar.
PhD Psychology, University of Florida, 1974
MA Psychology, University of Florida
BA Psychology, University of Florida
Areas of Interest
Behavior genetics, Cognitive archaeology, Personality assessment.
- Coolidge, F. L. (2012). Statistics: A Gentle Introduction (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (2011). How to Think Like a Neandertal. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK.
- Coolidge, F. L., & Wynn, T. (2009) The Rise of Homo sapiens: The Evolution of Modern Thinking. London: Wiley-Blackwell.
- deBeaune, S., Coolidge, F. L., & Wynn, T. (Eds.). (2009). Cognitive Archaeology and Human Evolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L. (2006). Dream Interpretation as a Psychotherapeutic Technique. London:Radcliffe.
- Segal, D. L., Coolidge, F. L., & Rosowsky, E. (2006). Personality Disorders and Older Adults: Diagnosis, Assessment, and Treatment. New York: Wiley.
Selected Journal Articles
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (2011). The implications of the working memory model for the evolution of modern cognition. International Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
- Wynn, T., Coolidge, F. L., & Overmann, K. A., (in press). The archaeology of number concept its implications for the evolution of language. In R. Botha & M. Everaert (Eds.), The evolutionary emergence of human language. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (in press). The cognitive prerequisites for a language of diplomacy. In K. R. Gibson & M. Tallerman (Eds.), Handbook of language evolution. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L. & Wynn, T. (in press). The evolution of working memory. In H. Pashler (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of the mind. Los Angeles, CA: Sage Inc.
- Wynn, T. & Coolidge, F. L. (in press). Executive functions, working memory, and the evolution of the modern mind. American Association for the Advancement of Science. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Coolidge, F. L., Overmann, K. A., & Wynn, T. (2010). Recursion: What is it? Who has it? How did it evolve? WIRE Cognitive Science,1, 1-8.
- Wynn, T., & Coolidge, F. L. (Eds.). (2010). Working memory: Beyond symbolism and language. The Wenner-Gren Symposium Series. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Coolidge, C. M., Spinath, F. & Gottschling, J. (2010). Do nightmares and generalized anxiety disorder in childhood and adolescence have a common genetic origin? Behavior Genetics, 34, 73-82.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Cahill, B. S. & Simenson, J. T. (2010). Psychometric properties of a brief inventory for the screening of personality disorders: The SCATI. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 83, 395-405.
- Francia, C. A., Coolidge, F. L., White, L. A., Segal, D. L., Cahill, B. S., & Estey, A. J. (2010). Personality disorder profiles in incarcerated male rapists and child molesters. American Journal of Forensic Psychology, 28, 1-14.
- Segal, D. L., June, A., Payne, M., Coolidge, F. L., & Yochim, B. (2010). Development and initial validation of a self-report assessment tool for anxiety among older adults: The Geriatric Anxiety Scale. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 24, 709-714.
- Marty, M. A., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2010). Relationships among dispositional coping strategies, suicidal ideation, and protective factors against suicide in older adults. Aging and Mental Health, 8, 1015-1023.
- Coolidge, F. L., & Segal, D. L. (2009). Is Kim Jong-il like Saddam Hussein and Adolf Hitler? A personality disorder evaluation. Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political, 1, 195-202.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., & Applequist, K. (2009). Working memory deficits in personality disorder traits: A preliminary investigation in a nonclinical sample. Journal of Research in Personality, 43, 355-361.
- Coolidge, F. L., Segal, D. L., Klebe, K. J., Cahill, B. S., & Whitcomb, J. M. (2009). Psychometric properties of the Coolidge Correctional Inventory in a sample of 3,962 prison inmates. Behavioral Sciences and the Law, 27, 713-726.
- June, A., Segal, D. L., Coolidge, F. L., & Klebe, K. (2009). Religiousness, social support and reasons for living in African American and European American older adults: An exploratory study. Aging and Mental Health, 13,753-760.
- Pepin, R., Segal, D. L., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). Intrinsic and extrinsic barriers to mental health services among older adults. Aging and Mental Health, 13, 769-777.
- Segal, D. L., Needham, T. N., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). Age differences in attachment orientations among younger and older adults: Evidence from two self-report measures of attachment. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 69, 119-132.
- Segal, D. L., Tucker, H., & Coolidge, F. L. (2009). A comparison of positive versus negative emotional expression in a written disclosure study among distressed students. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma, 18, 367-381.
- Wynn, T., Coolidge, F. L., & Bright, M. (2009). Hohlenstein-Stadel and the evolution of human conceptual thought. Cambridge Archaeological Journal, 19, 73-83.
Honors & Awards
- Fulbright Fellowship Award recipient (India, 1987, 1992, 2005)
- University of Colorado Presidential Teaching Scholar, 1990
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the UCCS Campus, 1984
- Outstanding Teaching Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 1987
- Outstanding Research Award for the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, 2005
- Outstanding Research Award for the UCCS Campus, 2007