B.Sc Loyola College
M.Sc University of Madras
Ph.D Neuroscience-National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, India
Post Doctoral Fellowship - Harvard Medical School (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre), Boston, USA
I am interested in the cognitive processes underlying design creativity. I aim to integrate the study of design creativity with an empirical research program using the theories and tools of cognitive neuroscience. Specifically, I aim to understand how analogical reasoning, attention and working memory influence the creativity in “ill-structured” design tasks.
My other interest is in communication design. I am working on linking cultural cognition theory of risk perception to perception of scientific information in India. This work could lead to devising better communicating strategies for scientific and medical information. I am also interested in perception of visual narratives, infographics and data representations as I moonlight as a graphic designer, mostly to disseminate scientific issues.
I have conducted research in systems neuroscience for over a decade. I have worked on the functional and anatomical organization of somatosensory and motor cortex, plasticity following spinal cord injuries in, developing a brain-machine interface using neural recordings from primate subject, optogenetic studies in motor system in parkinsonian mice.
- Learning and Memory
- Neural Plasticity
- Lazar L*, Chand P*, Rajan R, Mohammed H, Jain N. Inputs from the Opposable Thumb are Processed in an Independent Module in Somatosensory Cortex of Macaque Monkeys. (under preparation)
- Kambi N, Tandon S, Mohammed H, Lazar L, Jain N. Reorganization of the primary motor cortex of the adult macaque monkeys after sensory loss resulting from partial spinal cord injuries. J Neurosci. 2011 Mar 9; 31 (10):3696-3707
- Tandon S, Kambi N, Lazar L, Mohammed H, Jain N. Large-scale expansion of the face representation in somatosensory areas of the lateral sulcus after spinal cord injuries in monkeys. J Neurosci. 2009 Sep 23; 29(38):12009-19
POSTERS / ABSTRACTS
- Lazar L, Chand P, Rajan R, Jain N. Electrophysiological and anatomical substrate of digit representation in the primary somatosensory area (area 3b). Society for Neuroscience, 2013
- Rajan R, Lazar L, Govindan R, Jain N. Long-term stability of recordings from chronic intracortical microwire electrode arrays in macaque monkeys. Society for Neuroscience, 2013
- Lazar L, Rajan R, Jain N. Information processing in the hand representation of area 3b of macaque monkeys. Primate Neurobiology Conference, 2012. University of Tubingen, Germany.
- Lazar L, Rajan R, Jain N. Focal stimulation on the skin of hand activated neurons over large regons of the hand representation in area 3b of macaque monkeys. Society for Neuroscience, 2009
Books & Popular Science Articles
The Five Senses A Reference Guide. (ISBN: 8184770340)- Published by Scholastic India Pvt Ltd.