Attentional Prioritization and Peri-personal Space
Office: AB 5/316 | Email: email@example.com
Research interests: Visual Attention and Action, Skill Acquisition, Motor Sequence Learning
I have an M.Phil in Cognitive Science, from Hyderabad Central University; currently pursuing PhD in cognitive science from IIT Gandhinagar. My M.Phil thesis investigated on the nature of inter-limb transfer of motor sequence learning, carried out under the supervision of Prof. Bapi Raju. My PhD work looks at the perceptual and attentional processing differences for objects that are in the graspable space of the hand, being carried out under the supervision of Prof. Meera M. Sunny. My other research interests include music cognition and skill acquisition; an interest that got evolved from the formal training received in instrumental music (violin). I also like to play tennis and travel to new places.
- M.Phil in Cognitive Science, Centre for Neural and Cognitive Sciences, Hyderabad Central University
- M.A. in Applied Psychology, Bharathiar University
- B.A. in Psychology, Union Christian College, Mahatma Gandhi University
- Thomas, T. & Sunny, M. M. (2017). Slower attentional disengagement but faster perceptual processing near the hand. Acta Psychologica. 174, 40–47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actpsy.2017.01.005
- Thomas, T. & Sunny, M.M. (2017). Altered visuo-spatial processing in the peri-personal space: A new look at the hand-proximity effects. Journal of Indian Institute of Science. 97(4), 443-450. 10.1007/s41745-017-0057-x
- Thomas, Tony and Coello, Yann (October, 2017). “Enhanced Saccade accuracy in the Peri-hand space”. In 4th Annual Conference on Cognitive Science (ACCS-2017), at Hyderabad Central University, Telangana, India, Paper ID: 56.
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (March, 2017). “Differential sensitivity to motion and color singletons in the proximal region of the hand”. In 4th International AttLis Workshop (AttLis-2017), at BITS Pilani Goa Campus, Goa, India.
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (2016, October). “Hand Proximity Effect: Differential Sensitivity to Bottom-up Salience”. In 3rd Annual Conference on Cognitive Science (ACCS-2016), at IIT Gandhinagar, India, Paper ID: 92.
Saksena, S. K., Thomas, T., Sunny, M. M. (2016, October). “Effect of Emotional Stimuli on Attentional Prioritization in Peripersonal Space”. In Third Annual Conference on Cognitive Science (ACCS-2016), at IIT Gandhinagar, India.
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (2015, December). “Factors other than Attention mediating Hand Proximity Effect”. In 3rd International Conference on Cognition, Brain and Computation at IIT Gandhinagar, India, Poster no. 61.
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (2015, August). “Hand proximity effect: The role of space, object and disengagement”. 38th European Conference on Visual Perception (ECVP). Liverpool, UK. (doi: 10.7490/f1000research.1110756.1)
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (2015, July). “Stroop interference and spatial processing near the hands”. In 2nd Annual Conference on Cognitive Science (ACCS-2015), at IIT Kanpur, India, Paper ID: 61.
- Thomas, Tony and Sunny, Meera M. (2014, March). “Hand Proximity Influences Attention Capture by a Feature Singleton”. In First Annual Conference on Cognitive Science (ACCS-2014), New Delhi, India, Poster no. 62.
- Thomas, Tony, Kumar, Neeraj and Sunny, Meera M. (2013, December). “The Role of Limb Proximity in Attentional Prioritization”. In International Conference on Cognition, Emotion and Action at IIT Gandhinagar, India, Poster no. S1- 1.
- Thomas, T., K. P. Miyapuram, and S. Bapi Raju. (2012, December). “Inter-manual Transfer of Visuo-motor Sequence Learning”. In XXII Annual Convention of the National Academy of Psychology (NAOP). At Christ University, Bangalore, India.
- Thomas, Tony, "Defining Indianness", The Hindu, Nov. 29, 2016.