Assistant Teaching Professor
B.Sc Loyola College
M.Sc University of Madras
Ph.D Neuroscience-National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, India
Post Doctoral Fellowship - Harvard Medical School (Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Centre), Boston, USA
My research interests are in understanding multimodal touch perception in humans.
In our everyday life, we rely on the brain’s somatosensory system to perceive different tactile events on the surface of our skin like shapes, textures, hardness, softness, curvatures, vibrations, temperature etc. I am interested in understanding the organization of the human tactile system and how it underlies our rich haptic experience. Specifically, I am interested in how higher-level processes like language, emotion, body image interact with the low-level representations of external tactile stimuli. Also, no sensory system operates in isolation; our brain is constantly using signals from various sensory modalities to make sense of the world around us. I am keen to understand how the tactile system interacts with the visual, auditory and proprioceptive senses. I also have an interest in understanding the neural correlates and cognitive mechanisms of aesthetic perception and creativity.
- Learning and Memory
- Fundamental Neuroscience
- Cognitive Neuroscience
- Neural Plasticity
- Experimental Aesthetics
- Immersive Storytelling using VR/AR
- Writing (FP 602)
- Lazar. L. The Cognitive Neuroscience of Design Creativity. Journal of Experimental Neuroscience, Volume: 12 October 31, 2018.
- Lazar L*, Chand P*, Rajan R, Mohammed H, Jain N. Inputs from the Opposable Thumb are Processed in an Independent Module in Somatosensory Cortex of Macaque Monkeys. (under preparation)
- Kambi N, Tandon S, Mohammed H, Lazar L, Jain N. Reorganization of the primary motor cortex of the adult macaque monkeys after sensory loss resulting from partial spinal cord injuries. J Neurosci. 2011 Mar 9; 31 (10):3696-3707
- Tandon S, Kambi N, Lazar L, Mohammed H, Jain N. Large-scale expansion of the face representation in somatosensory areas of the lateral sulcus after spinal cord injuries in monkeys. J Neurosci. 2009 Sep 23; 29(38):12009-19
POSTERS / ABSTRACTS
- Lazar L, Chand P, Rajan R, Jain N. Electrophysiological and anatomical substrate of digit representation in the primary somatosensory area (area 3b). Society for Neuroscience, 2013
- Rajan R, Lazar L, Govindan R, Jain N. Long-term stability of recordings from chronic intracortical microwire electrode arrays in macaque monkeys. Society for Neuroscience, 2013
- Lazar L, Rajan R, Jain N. Information processing in the hand representation of area 3b of macaque monkeys. Primate Neurobiology Conference, 2012. University of Tubingen, Germany.
- Lazar L, Rajan R, Jain N. Focal stimulation on the skin of hand activated neurons over large regions of the hand representation in area 3b of macaque monkeys. Society for Neuroscience, 2009
- “Neurological Imaginaries” – York University, Toronto, Canada
- “Art Making and the Brain” – Expanded Field: Redefining Arts Education Symposium in Hong Kong Art School
- “Eye to Art” – Whistling Woods International Film School, Mumbai
- “Designing Visual Science Communication” – Anna University organized by SwissNex
- “Visualizing Science” – National Institute of Immunology (NII) organized by Nature India (2017)
- “Plasticity, Creativity and Therapy” – Get Wired: Arts and Mental Health, Benilde School of Arts and Design, Philippines.
- “Tactile Sense – How We Feel the World” – National Institute of Design (NID, Paldi)