Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering
Research Areas: Human-Computer Interaction, Artificial Intelligence, Affective Computing
My research interests lie in Virtual Reality based Human-Computer Interaction used in affective computing, Eye Tracking and Physiology based modeling techniques, Human-Robot Interaction used in cognitive studies, Adaptive Intelligent techniques in cognitive research, Robot-assisted surgical techniques. I work on application-oriented projects and solutions for children with autism and stroke-rehabilitation platforms for the elderly. I have established an Intelligent Rehabilitation and Affective Computing Systems Laboratory at IIT Gandhinagar. I enjoy teaching both fundamental and advanced technical concepts of engineering to undergraduate and graduate students.
Ph.D. in Intelligent Adaptive Affective Computing (2011). Vanderbilt University, USA.
M.Tech. in Instrumentation Engg (2004). Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
B.Tech. Instrumentation & Electronics Engg (1995). Jadavpur University.
Professional and Teaching Experience:
- Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (Nov 2015 - present)
- Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (Apr 2012 - Nov 2015)
- Research Associate, Vanderbilt University, USA (2011)
- Research Assistant, Vanderbilt University, USA (2007 - 2011)
- Senior Manager, Tata Iron and Steel Company Ltd., India. (2004 - 2007)
- Assistant Manager, Biecco Lawrie Ltd., India (1998 - 2002)
- Systems Support Engineer, Debind Controls and Systems Pvt. Ltd., India (1997 - 1998)
- Application Engineer, TTS Systematix Pvt. Ltd., India. (1995 - 1997)
- Dash, Adyasha; Yadav, Anand; Chauhan, Anand and Lahiri, Engineering, PP(99), 1-1, 2016. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2518222.
- Lahiri, U., Bekele, E., Dohrmann,Uttama, “Kinect-assisted performance-sensitive upper limb exercise platform for post-stroke survivors”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2019.00228, vol. 13, 2019.
- Krishnappa Babu, Pradeep Raj and Lahiri, Uttama, “Understanding the role of proximity and eye gaze in human-computer interaction for individuals with Autism”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, DOI: 10.1007/s12652-019-01175-8, Jan. 2019.
- Solanki, Dhaval S. and Lahiri, Uttama, “Design of instrumented shoes for gait characterization: a usability study with healthy and post-stroke hemiplegic individuals”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2018.00459, vol. 12, Jun. 2018.
- Kuriakose, S. and Lahiri, U. (2017). “Design of a Physiology-sensitive VR-based Social Communication Platform for Children with Autism,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1180-1191, Aug. 2017, doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2613879.
- Verma, S; Kumar, D; Kumawat, A; Dutta, A and Lahiri, U (2017) “A Low-cost Adaptive Balance Training Platform for Stroke Patients: A Usability Study”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, DOI:10.1109/TNSRE.2017.2667406.
- Raj P, Oza P and Lahiri U (2017), "Gaze-sensitive Virtual Reality based Social Communication Platform for Individuals with Autism," IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 450-462.
- Kumar, D., Dutta, A., Das, A., and Lahiri, U. (2016) "SmartEye: Developing a Novel Eye Tracking System for Quantitative Assessment of Oculomotor Abnormalities", IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation E., Warren, Z., Sarkar, N. (2012). Design of a Virtual Reality based Adaptive Response Technology for Children with Autism. Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering [Published Online].
- Bekele, E., Lahiri, U., Swanson, A., Crittendon, J.A., Warren, Z., Sarkar, N. (2012). A Step towards Developing Adaptive Robot-mediated Intervention Architecture (ARIA) for Children with Autism. Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering [Accepted].
- Lahiri, U., Warren, Z., Sarkar, N. (2011). Design of a Gaze-sensitive Virtual Social Interactive System for Children with Autism. Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 19(4), 443-452.
- Lahiri, U., Trewyn, A., Warren, Z., Sarkar, N. (2011). Dynamic Eye gaze and its Potential in Virtual Reality Based Access Applications for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autism-Open s Journal.
- Welch, K., Lahiri, U., Sarkar, N., Warren, Z. (2010). An Approach to the Design of Socially Acceptable Robots for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. International Journal of Social Robotics, 2(4), 391-403.
- Lahiri, U., Labadie, R.F., Liu, C., Balachandran, R., Majdani, O., Sarkar, N. (2010). A Step Towards Identification of Surgical Actions in Mastoidectomy. IEEE Transactions of Biomedical Engineering, 57(2), 479-487.
- Lahiri, U., Pradhan, A.K., Mukhopadhyaya, S. (2005). Modular neural network based directional relay for transmission line protection. IEEE Power Engineering Society Letters.
- Welch, K., Lahiri, U., Sarkar, N., Warren, Z., Stone, W., Liu, C. (2010). Affect-sensitive Computing and Autism. In Gulsen, Didem (Eds.), Affective Computing and Interaction: Psychological, Cognitive and Neuroscientific Perspectives, Publisher : IGI Global.
- Lahiri, U., Labadie, R.F., Liu, C., Majdani, O., Sarkar, N. (2010). A Step Towards Characterization of Surgical Actions Involved in Mastoidectomy. In Tiwari, R., Shukla, A. (Eds.), Intelligent Medical Technologies and Biomedical Engineering: Tools and Applications, Publisher : IGI Global, ISBN No. 978-1-61520-977-4.
- Lahiri, U., Sarkar, M. (2012). Adaptive Gaze-Sensitive Virtual Reality based Human-Computer Interaction for Adolescents with ASD. IASTED, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI, 2012).
- Lahiri, U., Welch, K., Sarkar, M. (2012). Psychophysiological Response in Virtual Reality based Human-Computer Interaction in Adolescents with ASD. Human-Computer Interaction (HCI, 2012).
- Kuriakose, S., Sarkar, N.%