Visiting Assistant Professor, Humanities and Social Sciences
Research Areas: Phenomenology, Neurophenomenology, Embodied Cognition, Colour
My research intersects with the philosophical aspects of Cognitive Science via my focus on Phenomenology and Posthumanism. Phenomenology, particularly in its Merleau-Pontyian form, informs my analytic focus on embodiment and attendant areas such as embodied cognition, intentionality, experience, and expression. Posthumanism, particularly in its more philosophical deployments, informs my research, on the one hand, on how we can approach non-human forms of embodiment and consciousness and, on the other, the use and development of new technologies (as well their exploration in Science Fiction) as they relate to extended and distributed cognition, artificial intelligence, and embodiment.
BA: Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2006
MA: Queen’s University, Canada, 2008
PhD: Cardiff University, 2014
Professional and Teaching Experience:
- BA: Simon Fraser University, Canada, 2006
- MA: Queen’s University, Canada, 2008
- PhD: Cardiff University, 2014
- ‘Expressing Corporeal Silence: Phenomenology, Merleau-Ponty, and Posthumanism.’ Word and Text: A Journal of Literary Studies and Linguistics, Special Issue on Proto-Posthumanisms. Vol. VI (Dec 2016), pp.149-161.
- Co-Authored with Phillip Roberts, “Science Fiction” in Directory of World Cinema: South Korea, ed. by Colette Balmain (Bristol: Intellect, 2013), pp. 211-21
- “The Good, The Bad, and the Weird”; “2009: Lost Memories”; “Natural City”; “Resurrection of the Little Match Girl”, in Directory of World Cinema: South Korea, ed. by Colette Balmain (Bristol: Intellect, 2013), pp. 101-103, 215-216, 221-222, 222-223.
- “Just a Ghost in a Shell?” in Anime and Philosophy: Wide-Eyed Wonder, ed. by Josef Steiff and Tristan Tamplin (Chicago: Open Court, 2010), pp. 27-38“Shogun Assassin”; “The Machine Girl”; “Tetsuo: The Iron Man”, “Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer”, in Directory of World Cinema: Japan, ed. by John Berra (Bristol: Intellect, 2010), pp. 97-98, 192-193, 220-222.
- “Shogun Assassin”; “The Machine Girl”; “Tetsuo: The Iron Man”; “Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer”; “Memories”; “Cowboy Bebop: The Movie”; “Blood: The Last Vampire”; “Vampire Hunter D”; “Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust”, (Online, 2009) Directory of World Cinema. http://worldcinemadirectory.org/
RECENT CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- ‘Corporealizing Practices: Expressive Bodies and Posthuman Subjects ‘. International Seminar on Self and the Other. Calicut University. Calicut, Kerala, India. 6-8 Mar 2019.
- ‘Posthumanism as Method: Interrogation, Expression, and Embodiment in Posthumanist Philosophy’, 401 Years after Shakespeare: Shifting Paradigms from the Shakespearean Human to the Post-Human, The Heritage College and Shakespeare Society of Eastern India, Kolkata, India. 24-25 Nov 2017.
- ‘Intertwining Phenomenology and Cārvāka/Lokāyata: Exploring the Viability of Posthumanism as Method for Global Philosophy’, Creating a Philosophy for the Future, University of Macau, Macau, China, 16-18 Nov 2017.
- ‘Reflections on Teaching Continental Philosophy in India’, Education East and West: Bath Spa Colloquium for Global Philosophy and Religion 2017. Bath Spa University, Bath UK, 17-18 Mar 2017.
- .‘Body; Brain; Flesh - Merleau-Ponty on the ‘Problem’ of Consciousness’: The Problem of Consciousness and the Brain/Brahman Dichotomy Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, Jammu, India. 27-28 Feb 2017.
- “Expressing the World: Phenomenology and Posthumanism”, Approaching Posthumanism and the Posthuman. University of Geneva, Geneva Switzerland 4-6 June 2015