Visiting Assistant Professor
|Visiting Assistant Professor
Humanities and Social Sciences
Research Areas: Phenomenology, Neurophenomenology, Embodied Cognition
My research intersects with the philosophical aspects of Cognitive Science via my focus on Phenomenology and Posthumanism. Phenomenology, particularly in its Merleau-Pontyian form, informs my analytic focus on embodiment and attendant areas such as embodied cognition, intentionality, experience, and expression. Posthumanism, particularly in its more philosophical deployments, informs my research, on the one hand, on how we can approach non-human forms of embodiment and consciousness and, on the other, the use and development of new technologies (as well their exploration in Science Fiction) as they relate to extended and distributed cognition, artificial intelligence, and embodiment.
- Co-Authored with Phillip Roberts, “Science Fiction” in Directory of World Cinema: South Korea, ed. by Colette Balmain (Bristol: Intellect, 2013), pp. 211-21
- “The Good, The Bad, and the Weird”; “2009: Lost Memories”; “Natural City”; “Resurrection of the Little Match Girl”, in Directory of World Cinema: South Korea, ed. by Colette Balmain (Bristol: Intellect, 2013), pp. 101-103, 215-216, 221-222, 222-223.
- “Just a Ghost in a Shell?” in Anime and Philosophy: Wide-Eyed Wonder, ed. by Josef Steiff and Tristan Tamplin (Chicago: Open Court, 2010), pp. 27-38“Shogun Assassin”; “The Machine Girl”; “Tetsuo: The Iron Man”, “Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer”, in Directory of World Cinema: Japan, ed. by John Berra (Bristol: Intellect, 2010), pp. 97-98, 192-193, 220-222.
- “Shogun Assassin”; “The Machine Girl”; “Tetsuo: The Iron Man”; “Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer”; “Memories”; “Cowboy Bebop: The Movie”; “Blood: The Last Vampire”; “Vampire Hunter D”; “Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust”, (Online, 2009) Directory of World Cinema. http://worldcinemadirectory.org/
- “Expressing the World: Phenomenology and Posthumanism”, Approaching Posthumanism and the Posthuman. University of Geneva, Geneva Switzerland 4-6 June 2015
- “Virtual Corporeality: Embodiment and Cognition in Hiroshi Hamazaki’s Texhnolyze”, Association for Asian Studies 2013 Annual Conference, San Diego, CA USA. 21-24 March 2013.
- “Posthuman Corporeality: From Organic Bodies to Inorganic „Life‟”. Bodies in Movement: Intersecting Discourses of Materiality in the Sciences and the Arts. University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh UK. 28-29 May 2011.
- “Translating the Abyss: Posthumanism at the Limit(-trophy)”. Cultural Translations 2011. University of Malta, Valetta Malta. 15-16 Apr 2011.
- “Evolution and Degeneration in the Posthuman(s) of Michel Houellebecq’s The Possibility of an Island”, Emergence of the Posthuman Subject. University of Surrey, Surrey UK. 2-3 July 2010.
- “Humanist Narratives and Gender Determinism(s) in the Posthuman(s) of Michel Houellebecq’s The Possibility of an Island”, Gender and Difference. Cardiff University and The University of Cologne, Gregynog Hall, Powys UK. 20-23 May 2010.
- “Hybridity, the Spectre and Enclosure: Cyborgs and Human-Animals”, Zoontotechnics (Animality/Technicity) Cardiff University, Cardiff UK. 12-14 May 2010.
- “The Secular-Sacrality of Technologies of Perfection.” Connections Eight Conference. University of Bristol, Bristol UK. 21-22 May 2009.