Assistant Teaching Professor, Humanities and Social Sciences
Research Areas: Linguistics, Syntax and Semantics
My primary research interests are in linguistics, which aims to understand the nature of human minds by investigating language and communication. I have conducted research on syntax-semantic interfaces of questions and adjunct clauses in East Asian and Austronesian languages based on fieldwork and data elicitation. My interests also include teaching English as a second language in the academic setting, academic writing, and teaching Korean.
B.A.: Korea University, 2005
M.A.: Korea University, 2007
Ph.D.: University of Delaware, 2018
Professional and Teaching Experience:
I have had several years of teaching experience at the University of Delaware. I worked at the University of Delaware English Language Institute as an English-as-a-Second-Language tutor and Khbrat program assistant before joining IIT Gandhinagar. Before that, I worked as a researcher at the Center for Electronic Text in Korea University.
- Kim, P. Cole, G. Hermon and P. M. Sumartini, The Distribution of Adverbial and Nominal Wh-forms in Balinese, Papers from the Austronesian Formal Linguistics association (AFLA) 24: 31-41 (2019).
- Kim, Embedding without a license?: typology of unselected embedded clauses, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Linguistics and Cognitive Science, University of Delaware (May 2018).
- Tomioka and J. Kim, A new embedding strategy: Purposeful questions in Japanese and Korean, The proceedings of Workshop on Altaic Formal Linguistics (WAFL) 12 (2017).
- Kim and S. Tomioka, Two types of unselected embedded questions, in The proceedings of West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL) 31: 276–284 (2014).
- Kim, Method for the interpretation of the generic sentences, KLing (Working Paper in Linguistics, Korea University) 3: 23–31 (2009).
- Hong, J., Kim J. and B. Kang, Sejong Korean Treebank: Methods of construction and syntactic distribution, National Culture Research, Korea University 49: 35–54 (2008).
- Kim, Generic sentences and informativity, M.A. thesis, Department of Linguistics, Korea University (February 2008).
- J. Kim, On the relation between stage/individual level and the aspectual categories in Korean, KLing (Working Paper in Linguistics, Korea University) 1: 43–55 (2007).
- Wh-in-situ: Implication Universals, The 6th meeting of Cambridge Comparative Syntax. (CamCos), with G. Hermon and P. Cole. (May 4, 2017)
- The Distribution of Adverbial and Nominal Wh-forms in Balinese, The 24th meeting of Aus- tronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA), with P. Cole, G. Hermon, and P. M. Sumartini. (April 8, 2017)
- Purposive interrogative adjuncts, The 6th meeting of Mid-Atlantic Colloquium of Studies in Meaning. (September 21, 2016)
- Movement for focus: Balinese wh-phrases, The 22nd meeting of Austronesian Formal Linguis- tics Association, with P. Cole and P. M. Sumartini. (May 22, 2015)
- Near-purpose clauses in Korean, The 2015 Cognitive Science Graduate Student Conference (CSGSC), University of Delaware. (March 14, 2015)
- Equal root priming by irregular and regular verbs demonstrate full decomposition: New behav- ioral and neuroelectric evidence, The 2014 Cognitive Science Graduate Student Conference (CSGSC), University of Delaware, with Li, X., Park, H., Parshina, O., Wang, Q. and A. Hestvik (March 14, 2014)
- Two types of unselected embedded questions in Japanese and Korean, The 3rd Mid-Atlantic Colloquium of Studies in Meaning (MACSIM), Georgetown University. (April 13, 2013)
- Conventional implicated questions, The 31st West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics (WCCFL), Arizona State University, with S. Tomioka. (February 17, 2013)
- Interpreting speaker-oriented embedded questions in Korean and Japanese, Generative Lin- guistics in the Old World (GLOW) in Asia IX, Mie University, Japan, with S. Tomioka. (September 6, 2012)