Professor, Electrical Engineering
Research Areas: Human-Computer Interaction, Artificial Intelligence, Affective Computing
My research interests lie in Virtual Reality based Human-Computer Interaction used in affective computing, Eye Tracking and Physiology based modeling techniques, Human-Robot Interaction used in cognitive studies, Adaptive Intelligent techniques in cognitive research, Robot-assisted surgical techniques. I work on application-oriented projects and solutions for children with autism and stroke-rehabilitation platforms for the elderly. I have established an Intelligent Rehabilitation and Affective Computing Systems Laboratory at IIT Gandhinagar. I enjoy teaching both fundamental and advanced technical concepts of engineering to undergraduate and graduate students.
- PhD: Intelligent Adaptive Affective Computing, Vanderbilt University, USA (2011)
- MTech: Instrumentation Engg, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (2004)
- BTech: Instrumentation & Electronics Engg, Jadavpur University (1995)
Professional Teaching and Research Experience:
- Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (Nov 2015 – present)
- Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (Apr 2012 – Nov 2015)
- Research Associate, Vanderbilt University, USA (2011)
- Research Assistant, Vanderbilt University, USA (2007 – 2011)
- Senior Manager, Tata Iron and Steel Company Ltd., India. (2004 – 2007)
- Assistant Manager, Biecco Lawrie Ltd., India (1998 – 2002)
- Systems Support Engineer, Debind Controls and Systems Pvt. Ltd., India (1997 – 1998)
- Application Engineer, TTS Systematix Pvt. Ltd., India. (1995 – 1997)
- Welch, K., Lahiri, U., Sarkar, N., Warren, Z., Stone, W., Liu, C. (2010). Affect-sensitive Computing and Autism. In Gulsen, Didem (Eds.), Affective Computing and Interaction: Psychological, Cognitive and Neuroscientific Perspectives, Publisher: IGI Global.
- Lahiri, U., Labadie, R.F., Liu, C., Majdani, O., Sarkar, N. (2010). A Step Towards Characterization of Surgical Actions Involved in Mastoidectomy. In Tiwari, R., Shukla, A. (Eds.), Intelligent Medical Technologies and Biomedical Engineering: Tools and Applications, Publisher : IGI Global, ISBN No. 978-1-61520-977-4.
- Dash, Adyasha; Yadav, Anand; Chauhan, Anand and Lahiri, Engineering, PP(99), 1-1, 2016. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2518222.
- Lahiri, U., Bekele, E., Dohrmann,Uttama, “Kinect-assisted performance-sensitive upper limb exercise platform for post-stroke survivors”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2019.00228, vol. 13, 2019.
- Krishnappa Babu, Pradeep Raj and Lahiri, Uttama, “Understanding the role of proximity and eye gaze in human-computer interaction for individuals with Autism”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, DOI: 10.1007/s12652-019-01175-8, Jan. 2019.
- Solanki, Dhaval S. and Lahiri, Uttama, “Design of instrumented shoes for gait characterization: a usability study with healthy and post-stroke hemiplegic individuals”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2018.00459, vol. 12, Jun. 2018.
- Kuriakose, S. and Lahiri, U. (2017). “Design of a Physiology-sensitive VR-based Social Communication Platform for Children with Autism,” IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1180-1191, Aug. 2017, doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2016.2613879.
- CG 506 – Experimental Techniques in Cognitive Science
- EE 411 – Digital Signal Processing
- ES 612 – Artificial Intelligence